Tuesday, October 29, 2013

A man with a gun gets things done

On my recent short trip to Dubai, I had to hand in my residency card. Despite arguing for quite some minutes with the immigration official in a bid to keep the card (which was valid till December), I decided that when he said politely but firmly "This conversation is over, you must go" that it was probably best not to press the matter.

This left me with having to get a new card which I did yesterday in the company of a driver and a minder who spoke not a word of English. Unfortunately this time I couldn't bluff my way with my contract like I did last time so my minder called in some help. After waiting about an hour, the guy who came with me last time turns up. With barely a word spoken we go through the process again. Entering the building he shows the guard his ID and his pistol and we go through no trouble. This time obtaining my visa took just 10 minutes and when we emerged back into the car park, Mr Silent gave me a wave, quick smile and then disappears.

I have no idea who he is, but my guess is that he is some head honcho in security here. Clearly it takes a man with a gun to get things done.

However, now I know that a blue residency card has to be handed in when you leave Kurdistan even if it is for a short trip and the card hasn't expired.

No comments:

Post a Comment