Saturday, April 26, 2014

Foreigners

Last week someone asked me if I lived in secure compound with other foreigners.  I have never considered living in  compound with foreigners and then I realised that I don't even know any foreigners here and that all my friends are Kurds. The only exception is a Colombian friend in Hawler and he has been here since 1996 so he almost doesn't count.

I also realised that I have a rather ambivalent attitude to 'foreigners', and by this I mean Westerners and not Iranians and Arabs. Unlike Hawler/Erbil, there are very few foreigners here, though with the pleasant spring weather, I have noticed more about, especially Germans and Dutch. The other night a foreign film crew was filming in Salim Street, and I found myself looking at them with odd curiosity and noticed that the Kurds were looking in much the same manner. Quite frankly they should stay at home!! LOL

And while we are at it the Arabs can stay at home too. With the Iraqi election this week, most schools are off and the city is packed with Arab families both having a break and looking to escape the bombings in Arab Iraq (which have been terrible this last week). I can't blame for that, but they do take over, especially in the swimming pool which this week is impossibly crowded. They are much louder, more boisterous and less polite and well mannered than the Kurds.

I can't help thinking, that having buggered up their own bit of the country, they come up here to Kurdistan and just make a nuisance of themselves :)

No comments:

Post a Comment